Mysterious Benedict Society

By Liku Layuk Allo - August 30, 2014


Adults who enjoy reading children's books are "retreating from the disappointment of life", according to a Cambridge University academic. - The Telegraph 


If you been following my blog for years, you'll know that almost all those books I choose to review are children's books. I don't know why, but it's kinda one of the best thing for me to share. Even though books I choose to read are mostly fiction or children's literature, I do read other genre too. But my heart will always belong to them, and I am more than happy to share the review of this series I just completed. Been wanting to write it since the 1st book, but I decide to wait until I collected the series.




Mysterious Benedict Society is written by Trenton Lee Stewart. It tells the story of four gifted children, Reynie Muldoon, George "Sticky" Washington, Kate Wetherall, and Constance Contraire.

Reynie Muldoon is an orphan, and he is an exceptionally smart child. He reads a mysterious advertisement in the newspaper titled "ARE YOU A GIFTED CHILD LOOKING FOR SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES?", calling children who have special talent to take a test that being hosted nearby. There are rounds of testing, and each test brought unique questions and puzzles..it is so challenging to Reynie, and to his friends too, whom he later meet at the place to take the same test, and they are Sticky, Kate, and Constance. All four children are also revealed that they have no parents or have been estranged to them. Together they pass the tests and meet Mr.Benedict, the leader of the organization that led the tests, and forms them to become secret agents called Mysterious Benedict Society. They are sent to investigate a mysterious school called L.I.V.E (the Learning Institue for the Very Enlightened) which Mr.Benedict believe has some dangerous plan for the world.

I just fall in love with the first book. And soon the whole series. The characters were all interesting and deep (strong typical character, actually-mostly happened in children's book, but still), and the plot had some puzzles that fun to solve. There were funny and snarky moments that made me want to keep reading. In the end, the whole trilogy was pretty entertaining. It has pure "good children-quality" book, but it wasnt too cheesy and the adventures even exciting for adult as well. 

Those four children has different personality and looks. Reynie is very clever and calm..a problem solver and a leader, Sticky has photographic memory and knowledge from all the book, Kate is physically gifted and brave like a black horse, and the last one, Constance, was a lil bit troublemaker and annoying, but also has special gift that will be revealed later. 

As expected from most of children's literature, the books brought good moral messages for kids; think honesty, good sportsmanship, and especially integrity. The first book is the best. And the sequels followed are good but turn to be a lil bit predictable with OK ending. Still, I highly recommend them to children and adult, simply to those wishing a pleasant and easy read. These books are just so engaging! I can't put 'em down. 

My favorite character, Kate. She is so optimistic, her acrobatic maneuvering and endlessly helpful red bucket.. One of my favorite scene of her is the moment when she faced the strong (adult) villain by herself. What a girl. I seriously hope Kate wouldn't lose her ab when she's growing up as a lady. Hahaha.

It's been a long time since I found true joy and curiosity to google about books I just read. Well, this whole holiday made me sure I've done a lot of reading. God, praise those relaxing departments. Hey, thesis, how are ya? I am cheerfully sitting here writing my novels review instead of doing you. 






The illustration by Carson Ellis could be found in every chapter. They're so good!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments