When I Met Joey Alexander

By Liku Layuk Allo - June 02, 2016

Everyone remembers the day they met their idol, if of course they ever got the chance to. Few days ago was one of the best thing that ever happened to me.

Almost two years ago, I was browsing through Youtube and accidentally clicking on the suggested channel. I looked at the video title, and he was a kid with a piano, a boy, around 9 or 10. A kid good at piano, is nothing new. So many kids are good at piano. I look on the sidebar of the channel, it filled with videos of his rendition of so many classic jazz anthems. Then I thought, 'Ok, lets see.'

He sat down on the piano bench, cranked way up, looked at the keyboard, and launched into a tune that turned me upside and down. He not only nailed it, he did it with great stylistic flair.

His name is Joey Alexander, and he's Indonesian.


I instantly gone a lil bit dizzy after watching the 1st video, and can't stop looking for others. He's really awesome, his skill was unbelievable, actually I don't know much about piano technique, but I am sure not every most senior piano player out there can do like he does. Because it's jazz. Jazz is very hard, if you can't get the "feels", you can't get it right. And he got the soul, man. A kid at that age, playing like a reincarnation of Thelonius Monk and his class.. I am out of words.

He became quite a phenomenon on the Youtube and jazz lovers around the world, they applaud him and established him as a "prodigy". And he's Indonesian, how cool is that? God. I instantly fell in love.

Last Sunday was such a special day for me. I have been collecting Joey's videos for a couple of time now. I have already talked about how much I love him and his music to Randi, my college junior and Kak Doni, my choir coach, (because no one knew Joey that day, and these guys has same taste with me), but yesterday gave me a whole new perspective. I had the opportunity to go to Joey Alexander Concert in Jakarta. I feel so lucky knowing that I (accidentally) have been working here for almost 3 months no. It was like God and the universe conspire to make me happy. Hahaha

Fyi, Joey is based in USA now, his schedule is full of so many jazz festivals, even the most prestigious ones (I am really happy for that, he's too good to stay in Indonesia), especially after his unbelievable performance as the youngest Grammy nominee at Grammy Awards 2016. A year ago while listen to him, I really want to watch him live, and I thought it was a tiny chance. Turns out, I happen to be in the right city at the right timing.

I had a really good seat, where I can see Joey clearly from the best side. When he came into the stage, I was so ecstatic!


Joey spoke like the child that he is, a bit awkward in front of all of the adults. But every time he sat down to play, he was simply brilliant. His technique was beyond dazzling, just like in the videos. His dynamics were also excellent; he knew when to be subtle and when to build to a crescendo. I love that he played many songs from his album, like the infamous "My Favorite Things", the challenging "Giant Steps", and my fav from his album, his rendition of The Sound of Music's best, "Over The Rainbow". A very beautiful ballad and God knows how much I love that song, even more after Joey play his version.

The sound was very awesome also because its supported by the HD facility at the hall. I can really catch the dynamics perfectly, and the beautiful sounding of drum-bass-piano. Ear-gasm at its best...


the bass player and the drummer are fellow Grammy nominee-musician; and Juliard School of Music Graduate. Too much talent on stage... I literally can't help the eargasm. They are gold!

The happiness wasn't even finished yet. Right after the concert, I convinced myself that I have to meet Joey in person. I don't know what it takes, I just have to see him in person, up close. Me and Brian were waiting outside the hall, but there was no sign of Joey. We even managed, to greet Mbak Najwa Shihab, yes the talkshow host, Barry Likumahuwa, the talented Indonesian jazz bass player, and Gerald Situmorang of Barasuara, and Monita Tahalea's guitarist, my favorite Indonesian singer. They just keep passing around the hall from the time we arrived at the venue, and I decided to say "hi", took a pic, have a lil conversation, and they were really kind. 

Anyway. Finally, Joey came out from his room, with some crews around him, and I thought 'geez, he's going home already'. But NO. He stopped at the photobooth. And suddenly the crews say that we can get a snap with Joey. Are you kidding me. I directly stood in line while the little Joey was standing patiently in front of his big poster, waiting for us. OMG OMG. I am gonna have a pic with Joey!!

When I finally got my turn, I was - really - starstrucked. Yeah. Call me anything, but yeah.... I can't believe I was starstrucked by a kid. I never felt that feeling in my life, when you were a fan and so happy like u can't say anything right; when u have rare chance to meet your idol. LOL. We took a picture, and I have to give other people their time. But I was not satisfied. 'If I just go now, I will be very much pissed of myself. This is the kid you listen to for a whole year!'; my unconscious mind yelled so hard. Then, I grabbed Joey's hand, and we shook. I said to him, "Joey, I am a big fan. Been loving u since 9." And then Joey smile so widely, his eyes stared at me brightly. To be honest, he seemed shocked. Hahahahahahhah. Aaaand one annoying crew shouted "AYOOO GA PAKEE NGOBROL, GA PAKE SALAMAN, FOTO AJAAAA!". Geez, man. Please. Just chill already. Can't you just let me be happy for a while? God. It's not like I am gonna pinch him or do-something-stupid, dude..
But I was really happy already! 

On our way home, Brian kept teasing me about how my words was kinda "weird". 
He said, "Lik. Tadi lo ngomongnya ngefans dari lo 9 tahun? Ato udah 9 tahun ngefans dia? Perasaan Joey belum main selama itu deh."
" Ngga. Maksud gue, gue ngefans dia dari umur dia 9 tahun."
" Hahahahahahh! Kayaknya tadi dia nangkepnya kayak gue, makanya dia syok ga jawab elu! Kali pikir dia, masa nih mbak-mbak ngefans dari umur dia 9 tahun, kayaknya gue belom lahir deh!"

Sialan. WKWKKWKWK. Bener juga sih......
Oh well... It was all unplanned anyway, guess I should have prepare the words I am going to say to Joey if I ever get the chance XD. I should have told him about how his music fix my mood, and help me a LOT to concentrate through my study time. But yeah.... A fan is a fan....You lost your words in front of your idol.


I hope I will watch Joey's concert again, but in other side of the world. USA, the land of jazz, would be perfect. I save this in my pray. May God bless you Joey, with health and prosperity, so we can meet again sometime. 

*the photos are all mine, taken with phone camera, but some of them are also taken from Google*

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments