Cormoran Strike Series ( The Cuckoo's Calling, The Silkworm, Career of Evil) Review

By Liku Layuk Allo - July 05, 2016



Robert Galbraith is a pseudonym for J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter series and The Casual Vacancy.

The whole series takes the perspective of an ex-soldier Cormoran Strike, private detective who lost part of a leg in a bombing in Afghanistan. He run a nearly-broke detective agent in London and with the help of his pretty assistant Robin Ellacott, he faces some mysterious cases and juggle with complicated personal life as well. 

Honestly, I started read the books around 3 years ago based by the fact it is written by J.K Rowling alone, under the alias of Robert Galbraith. The lady, seems to be the only author that can make me truly interested in crime stories, because normally they bore me as well as frustrate me (I can’t never seem to guess who the murderer is). And I safely may say; I am never disappointed at all. Reading these three books thou, is somewhat a journey for me. I learn to be loyal. Loyal here means, you know I love Rowling so much, that whatever books she write I will definitely put my eyes into it; no matter what genre it is all about. The first book, The Cuckoo’s Calling wasn’t really impress me. For me it was slow pacing, drifting to irrelevant sub-plots, over detailed filling scenes and repetitive situations, but I was adamant that I should keep at it since it’s Rowling; again, and I am super glad that I did so. The climax was great and making worthy all the effort to read the novel. I like how it was about modelling industry, and after finished the 1st book I decided to give it a next try (on the 2nd book).


The Silkworm, the second novel, became a fresh air since all those negative elements in the first book were gone. The second novel was intense, focused on the case, each scene was different, and it seems very personal for Galbraith/Rowling; because he/she gave us some informations of the book publishing industry. The case and the murder was much better, that include mutilation things and realistic-gross description of major killing moment. I love when I stunned by the fact that the murderer was someone I never thought before! Thaaat was really cool. The plot and the character development was on point, it was so detail, very "Rowling-ish" if you ask me, as always she put total effort on describing each character very specific so you can feel like you know them so much. He also seems very committed on describing the "vibe" of the scenes, the places and the aura of London. And I fell in love with Robin more and more. She was like, one of the best female character ever written. And of course in this book we can see more of Cormoran personal life as well. 

Reading Career of Evil, the third book in the Cormoran Strike series felt like coming home. I am so happy to finally get my copy of the book around 2 months ago. I’ve been waiting for this book for a year, because I can’t wait to see more and more of Cormoran and Robin! Galbraith is truly amazing at writing characters, and I definitely think that the characters are what drives this story forward and makes me love it so much. The case and Robin and Strike's personal lives dovetailed beautifully. And I've been saying for the past two books that I wanted MORE ROBIN and MORE ROBIN is exactly what I got. We get more into Robin's personal life in this one since she has bigger part, and not only her... it has larger scale of feelings. The murder case in itself interested me, but as is the case with the other two books as well, it was the relationship between Robin and Strike that kept me glued to the pages. This wonderful unique chemistry between them.. part admiration, part of “not wanting to depend on each other” kind of thing, part comfortable, what a dynamic partnership. And this time their relation facing a really hard time, some maniac blood and body parts craving murderer is set to sabotage Strike's career and reputation, and then..finish him. And this murderer made clear that he's targeting Robin as a main mean to do so. 

Now we can also see from the perspective of the murderer, since he has his own chapters as well. It was nice to know there are some “freaks community” in this world. I was able to follow the crime case and not be too bored, because Galbraith is really good at mingling it with the everyday lives of the characters. Btw, I was kinda proud with myself because I finally can guess who the murderer was. Hahhahah. It's really big story this time, and told you, full of feelings.

So now you can see the progression I made during my time following these series. I started with a slight sceptical feeling, and now I'm a huge fan of this series. From a lil' weak start, now Galbraith steps on very strong characters and story.. and I can't wait to get back to Robin and Strike in the fourth book - I already miss them! I'm not so sure I want Robin and Cormoran as a couple. I prefer them as a detective team, and if they can't have both, I'd rather them stay partners than get romantic. 

love this illustration of Strike and Robin. I feel it fits with my imagination
picture taken from here


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments