33

By Liku Layuk Allo - July 23, 2023

Thirty three. 

What is crossing your mind when you hear this words?

What is a 'typical 33 years old' for you?

There's this idea that you need to be "something" in your 30s: successful, married, financially stable, raising perfect kids, having a perfect house - just basically having all kinds of your shit together. And that's where the problem comes in, when we look around and go "I should be doing better.."

Usually at 33, individuals have accumulated a significant amount of wisdom and experience. They have faced challenges, overcome obstacles, and learned valuable lessons that contribute to their personal growth and decision-making process. I think thirties is the age of awareness. I feel like I am standing at top of mountain and see the whole picture of my past life, and how I became.. me. Then, when I think almost everything is fine and accomplished, I got into waves of sadness, anger, and feeling lost. I used to think in thirties, people will less likely to get hurt, because they are standing fully on their own feet, think bolder, speak louder, basically.. more fearless. It don't. I still got brokenhearted at thirties. I still cried in my bed and having sleepless night, being anxious about some things, just like I did at 17, 20, or 25 years old. I still can't keep my anger sometimes. My tongue still speaks faster than my brain, sometimes. I still watch Inuyasha on big screen. I think you get my point.

Age will show its effects in time. The challenge of aging is to find a peace with your physical decline with age. It isn't overnight, but some days it does surprise you. 

But 30s are also an opportunity for so much more - growth and exploration. You can still look as attractive (or even more) as in your 20s. Maybe your chance at being the next Olympic gymnast is unlikely, but there is still a world of opportunity ahead of you. It's a perfect age to spend more on yourself (if you're still single) while still saving on the future. Now that I think of it, I LOVE being at thirties. Sooo many blessings has come in my thirties. Opportunities doesn't stop there. I learned tennis for a year now. I gained biceps at my thirties. I honestly feel like I am more solid and cooler in my 30s than in my 26-28. Lol.

With age we give ourselves permission to become our real selves. You will find that you are meeting with the real you, someone you have yet to fully meet. 

At my 32 birthday, exactly in this date last year, I was still in love with someone. He was my best friend, someone I thought as my "soulmate" back then. He still gave me present that day. And he was my last broken heart. Thankfully. Never ever in my mind I will guess that next year.. today, I am happily married with someone else. And just right before I write this post, I just saw this very pretty (and looks yummy) birthday cake he just surprised me with; how his eyes are beaming with pride and joy and how it affects mine.

Life is funny, right? I told you, aging will never be boring. It will get more adventurous each year. 

Happy 33 birthday to me, I guess?



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments