Becoming Unstoppable - Maria and Elizabeth Rahajeng (Book Review)

By Liku Layuk Allo - January 07, 2019

Let me start this post with a confession: I was not a bookworm at all in 2018. What a shame. Always consider myself as a book lover; but 2018 was my "downfall" as a reader. I think I only read not more than 3 books last year? Blame it on social medias, cellphones, jobs... how shallow. 

I don't know why there was not any book that can really urge me to read. So, it was interesting to find "Becoming Unstoppable" by Maria and Elizabeth Rahajeng on the shelf of Gramedia bookstore. 

FYI, I always like Maria Rahajeng since she was crowned as Miss Indonesia 2014. I think she's a a pretty exotic lady with very Indonesian features, and she was very smart and articulate. I also love her-always look neat-and pretty-Instagram feed (@mariarahajeng). And when I find out she has an identical twin sister, Elizabeth (@elizrahajeng), who looks just as pretty and smart, I like them even more as a twin.  The twins are fashion bloggers, lifestyle influencer, and E! News Asia hosts. Last year when they published a book, I was quite interested but never intended on buying it. I thought it was a biography, and biography is never my cup of tea. The impulsive decision just came randomly in Gramedia when I saw the quite big and quite thick book with the cute nude color. I don't don't know why I was "sold" really fast, I thought 'oh, maybe it will be a "refreshing" read.'

book cover credit to mariaandelizabeth.com

Firstly, let's talk about the packaging of the book. Just from the cover, you can "judge" their personalities already. Classy, elegant, and feminine. Love the nude pink color, love the font, love the photo they put there. And the quality of the book itself is very nice. Big size, smooth hard cover, and the material of the papers is top quality. You can also see many photos of Maria & Elizabeth inside the book. Overall it's pleasing to the eyes. Now I get why the price of the book is quite high for an Indonesian published book (IDR 185.000).

Now move to the content. Becoming Unstoppable is  the twin's debut book and it's basically about 
their journey since childhood until present. Quoting their explanation; "...it is our coming-of-age memoir, the untold story of how two twin sisters from a small town in Central Java made their marks in the world of fashion in a booming digital era and also television on the screen of E! Asia."

From the press release, the twins said that the book will discover the untold and unfiltered story about their road to success. I always thought that the twins was born with a silver spoon in their mouth. But boy, how wrong I was. Who would have thought that they are come from a very humble beginning? In the book, they weave stories about their childhood in a small town, their grandparents and parents background as teachers, and the family's brave move to US. It was very interesting to me to see where it all started, how the parents of the twins struggled hard for their start and survival in US.. how they work as part timers in several places at the same time to pay for Maria and Elizabeth's education. It was indeed touchy to read about the father's bold move as a "pioneer" of their family new start in US. 

Not only that, they also give us the insight of their challenging teenage years, overcoming bullies, conquering self-doubt, unpleasant encounters with depression, and learning that failures are blessings too. It is indeed a story that anyone who’s ever been at a low point in their life or career will definitely relate to.

Becoming Unstoppable is a journal about finding your own voice, encouragement, and feminism. It will show you the importance of trusting yourself even when you feel the world is against you. I could really relate to that. There's an interesting story in the book about how the twins overcomed the rejection to join their school' football team (in Indonesia). It implies that everything requires a bravery, how a woman can't be tamed, and how to fight for your right and dreams. It is a long story for us readers to know how they got into their positions now.

I think this book will be a great choice for a light reading in the afternoon with a cup of tea. Or when you in a 'stuck' phase in your life and need some inspirations. I enjoyed reading the book because it is very encouraging and the writing is very understandable for wide range of audience. It will be a very nice present for our fellow ladies, sisters, daughters.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments