My Best of 2018 - Music

By Liku Layuk Allo - January 04, 2019

Hi all. We are approaching 2019 and I have so much to talk about. Let’s start from the lightest topic which doesn’t require too much time to think at all: music. I am not a singer nor a musician, or a pro music-writer; but I genuinely love music from my heart. So when I recommend a good music to anyone, it means I just wanna share it with my readers. I am very secretive about my music, so you can't say that I don't love you, peeps 😃. There was one time when I told a friend (who’s not into jazz at all) about how I love Chet Baker (classic jazz trumpeter), and the next time we met he said: “girl, I did listen to Chet Baker. I am LOVING it, I am so confused.” Lol. That’s one of the reasons why I always feel motivated to write about music. I am glad if it can entertain anyone I know or just give you guys some options outside your usual "boring" playlist. 

So I open my Spotify, and check every playlist that I made and streamed, to find out which music that I played the most for entire 2018. I am gonna divide it into two: International playlist, and Indonesian playlist. Let’s start with the Indonesian ones, because I do listen to so, so many Indonesian music this year (that’s a major improvement), and I found many new good albums from Indonesian artists this year, that’s why it excites me the most. But of course, I only listed the #LikuApproved here. Let's just jump right in.


INDONESIAN PLAYLIST

1. Zephyr (NIKI)


Girl. Yass. 

Actually I am kinda confused, I really confused about which playlist I must put Niki into, because she is pure Indonesian, just like Joey Alexander, but just like Joey, she is an international artist and she produced and toured her music in international market. But since she is a newcomer and I am excited about the prospect she’s making on Indonesian music, let’s just put her in my Indonesian playlist. 

NIKI, born Nicole Zefanya, is a singer-songwriter and record producer, and raised in Jakarta. In 2017, NIKI joined the American mass media company 88rising as an artist under their label. When I accidentally heard her first single, “Vintage”, I was already interested. Who sings this? And when I found out that the singer was an Indonesian girl, I was SHOOKETH. As curious as I always been, I did my job on listen to her other songs, and that was probably one of the best decision I’ve ever made this year. Her EP album, titled "Zephyr", is really GOOD. It reminds me of old school R&B music with a touch of modern vibe. I grew up listening to 90's or 2000's R&B like Destiny’s Child, Brandy, JoJo, Neyo, Usher, Alicia Keys.. and I think Niki kinda brought this "vibe" back and I love it. All of her songs are "girly", yet fierce, full of attitude and sassy at the same time. All the songs are written and produced by Niki herself. The writing skill is up there. Lyrically a strong album, my favs are Vintage, "Newsflash!", "I Like U", but there is none of the songs that I don't like. A super talented girl, period. I just need more songs from Niki now. Dang, Indo “teens” are really killin’ it lately. First Joey, Rich Brian (formerly Rich Chigga), and now Niki? Indonesians aren’t come to play!


2. Ardhito Pramono 


Boy, what can I say about this babe? Beside of cute, of course. But let's not under-shadow the fact that he's a very talented jazz singer and songwriter. I discovered Ardhito Pramono randomly this year through Spotify and I fell in love ever since. His jazz influence is so strong, it reminds me of some of my fave oldies, call it Billie Holiday, Ella, Louis Armstrong or all those 50's.. (Dean Martin-ish vibe goin' on). His voice is smooth and lovely, it suits the ballads in the EP: "Ardhito Pramono" and "Playlist, Vol 2". "Bitterlove", the latest song released in 2018, is a jazzy-pop song that is more easy listening for the main market. Overall it is nice to hear this kind of genre comes back in our "basic" Indonesian market.  


3. The Journey (Rendy Pandugo)


I first listened to Rendy Pandugo when I was still in college, through Soundcloud. He covered other artists' songs and published some of his old works there. I also had the opportunity to watch him live at a cafe in Jakarta where he used to play regularly. After all those years, now he is one of those breakthrough Indonesian singers on the market. Uniquely, Rendy's vocal resembles John Mayer in some aspects, and you guys know how much I love Mayer right? The Journey is an easy listening album and it's majorly influenced by pop, blues, folk, and also country, with the strong sound of acoustic guitar. I found it has the vibe of some Mayer's albums like "Paradise Valley" and "Born and Raised". If you like John Mayer, Ed Sheeran, Philip Philips, The Lumineers or Mumford and Sons, I am sure you will enjoy this album. Acceptable even for mainstream market, this album is a great choice for "traveling on the road" soundtracks. My favorite songs in the album are "7 Days", "I Don't Care", and "I Know the Answer"


4. Lima (Mocca)



You guys might think I am biased because I always love Mocca. But seriously, I only include the best in here. Honestly, I was not really into the idea of Mocca makes a full Indonesian (lyrically) album, because usually the best songs coming from Mocca are in English. But now, I can appreciate it. Still sounds like the Mocca, this fifth album ticks off every point you’d expect a Mocca album to have, from the folk-swing ballads, soft-jazz touch, simple lyrics, to the playful brass-section songs the band goods at. I am not complaining thou. The band’s music is such an established brand that it would perhaps be understandably risky to combine it with less conservative tunes.There is no big change related to the full Indonesian album; Mocca does Mocca well. This album just shows how instinctually familiar the members are with their music/ brand. Mocca is a pro. My fav songs from the album are the first single, the cheerful song about friendship (with very lovely music video) "Teman Sejati", the quirky song about feeling bothered that the weekend is almost done in "Di Penghujung Hari Minggu", and "Tanda Tanya" with thick swing-jazz atmosphere and wrapped with strong trumpet sounds.


Honorary mention :

5. Resonance (GAC) 



It doesn't feel right to not include this album into the list. GAC (Gamaliel Audrey Cantika) has been a consistent trio since 2013, and they sound better day by day. This third album of GAC, "Resonance", released in 2018, shows the trio's earned place in Indonesian mainstream market. Fortunately blessed with beautiful voice, three of them sounds more mature and polished in this urban pop, RnB album. I also need to appreciate the effort they made with the MV for some songs in the album ("Suara", "Satu" and "Sailor"). Sailor is definitely my favorite, because GAC has successfully exploited the beauty of the location of shooting in this video, which is the beautiful Labuan Bajo - East Nusa Tenggara. The concept and the angles of the MVs are just very pleasing to the eyes. And they have a very cool fashion taste as well. Oh and also the fact that all of those MVs are directed by Gamaliel himself, is exceptional.


INTERNATIONAL PLAYLIST : 

The albums I mentioned in the following list will be those albums that I have discussed in here

1. Eclipse (Joey Alexander)
2. From A Room Volume 2 (Chris Stapleton)
3. Golden Hour (Kacey Musgraves)
4. The Search of Everything (John Mayer)

Please click that link above and see my full review there!

And here are a few additions:

5. Meaning of Life (Kelly Clarkson) 


To be honest, I am not into this album as a whole. I expected a full-time "rebuttal" of Kelly Clarkson, since this is the first album she released with the new record company after seven albums, emotional journey, and "dilemmatic" relationship with her first management. I was hoping for something "new" and "stronger" from Kelly, but turned out it's only her voice that grows stronger and more solid. The album's vibe just sounds "samey" like the previous albums, but don't worry I still have some favorites. "I Don't Think About You" is one fine ballad that flaunts her incredible range and overall vocal dexterity, swallowed in a vulnerable and emotional lyrics. It's a match made in heaven for Kelly's voice. I included this album in here merely due to my mad respect for Kelly's voice and how obsessed I am with this song alone. 


6. Sweet Sexy Savage (Kehlani)


The comeback of RnB is confirmed by the release of Kehlani's first debut studio album, if you hadn't realized or were not that aware before. I have to say that Kehlani's music took me back the the good old days of RnB when I was just a little girl. She’s no Aaliyah, TLC, Solange or Kelly Rowland or Ciara, but she still manages to hold her own, she’s giving us killer vocals even if the lyrics could be worked on. Anyway, strong wordplay isn’t necessary an R&B singer’s strongest suit (that's why, again, Niki's writing skill is crazy), hell, it doesn’t have to be. As long as there’s vocal runs and pipes to match the music produced, I’m happy. The tracks in the album are equally fine and well-blended, so I don't have any favorite. I really enjoy this album as a whole. I am excited for her future project. Major recommendation for anyone who loves RnB!


That's all for my fav music in 2018. If you have listened to these albums above, please tell me what you think, and what is your favorite music in 2018? Let me know!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments