Indonesian Atheist Parents - A Personal Perspective

By Liku Layuk Allo - August 09, 2013

It's a picture of a family, yes. Parents and their children. But what would the symbol above the children be?

I found this article interesting and somehow made me think about it more than a time. 
So few weeks ago I was strolling around twitter... scrolling down the timeline and suddenly found this article cited by @jokoanwar. Now you may click this link and take a time to read, and then we can have a nice conversation hereafter(continue read only when you're finished).

Done? Okay.

When you look at this picture; which is taken from the article, what's popped inside ya'll mind?





Have you ever read/heard something about "Indonesian Atheist Parents"?
From the title alone, wide range of opinion will automatically arise in your mind, isn't it? For me, those three words plastered so real, definite, but it's hard to be accepted.



Atheist : the rejection of belief in the existence of deities(taken from Wikipedia)

The fact that I am living in a country with seven accepted and official religions surprises me a little when I find the existence of an organization that claims to not air-God; and have a vision of raising kids with such conviction. Embedded within Indonesia's constitution are the following two lines: "all persons have the right to worship according to their own religion or belief" and "the nation is based upon belief in one supreme God."
Placed side by side, it's almost as if those two lines take on a new meaning. Feel free to worship however you choose, but make sure you choose to worship. Yes, that's what my country based of. Now, how could this such of association exists?
.   
Thinking about atheism led me to the western countries that I know adopts with it well. I can understand, and somehow think it's a part of the modernization and development of a person's thinking according to technological developments. I've met some foreign friends which clearly stated that they are the one who does not have God. From the way they talk, the fact seems prevalent in their mother countries. I have no problem with this. As long as you act nicely and good to talk, I will not care about what your vision is. But well, here, in Indonesia, I can't help but thinking 'how will these people explain to their kids that they are God-less?' I think it is the biggest challenge for those parents to encouraging the children's character building away from religious dogmas that surround them. As we know, we were taught religion since we were toddler. We were taught to pray, to go to church, or vihara, and believe that God exists and watches you every time. How will these children grow and living in such restricted country? When they interact with their friends at school, they will learn that most of the people are believe in God. While at home, their parents doesn't have any bible, Alqur'an or any holistic books.

From the various articles I read before making this post, I get that most adherents of atheism in Indonesia decided to become one after experiencing a variety of processes in their life. Whether it's a struggle, enlightenment, or meet someone who means something for them. One even says, "Atheism is directly related to intelligence." Even in "religious" America, nearly all scientists are atheists. I said before that I don't care about people decision of being an atheist. I know as God believer, there are some doctrines I have to accept,  and it won't harm my ability in using logic. As I grow and getting curious day by day, having a religion doesn't disrupt me to think about any scientific mechanism. Instead, it makes me realize that human is far from enough to uncover all secrets of this universe. If you choose to deny God existence after getting through all this processes, maybe it is the best way if someone chooses to be an atheist. Learn first, then dig in.

But in this case, the children, wouldn't they be given the opportunity to choose? Are these parents going to hand over the principle of atheism only; or still providing knowledge about different religions as well? Personally, I think it is a mistake to teach them the principles of atheism without letting them know various options that they can embrace. They should be given a chance in a long term to know their families(not only her parents) and heard various opinions along their growth. Too much information on the early age will make them become fragile and confused. I think parents are obliged to keep their children's psychiatric remained stable. If it takes a long time to become aware with such issues, then so be it. Godless or not, I just hope the kids in Indonesia to grow and know morality. I do not claim atheists doesn't have morals, of course not. Maybe most atheists has higher moral than religious people. People claim themselves to be religious and living under rules of humanity and love, but sometimes they act otherwise. As for atheism itself, let us think, where did they get the lesson about moral and humanity? Humanity is not something you can get right from birth; it's a life lesson. Learning by doing, learning by seeing. Religion taught us to be kindhearted and sincere and all of those good things. If they can't accept the concept of God, I believe they can accept the concept of moral. It is a right thing to do; God-less or not. And these members of IAP has a quite hard job to grow their children in this kind of country.. It's theirs to show the kids that people who believe in God can live next to someone who doesn't. And I am wishing the best for them. I wish that this kids will be able to survive in society, right after when they have made their mind whenever they choose to follow their parents' path.


Additional reading :

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. All your concern and questions about "how" parents who rejected god in their life, give a moral lesson for their kids. Are we gonna hand over the atheism view just like all religious parents do to their kids about their religious views?

    Come and join and you'll find the answer. Our group member has various views, moslem, buddha, deis, agnostic, etc.

    Thanks for your article, its a great one and i do appreciate what you wrote here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, thank you for the comment, it really means something for me that u read it and dropped something.
    I do hope we can share thoughts together without any pressure someday. :)

    ReplyDelete