The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien - Review

By Liku Layuk Allo - October 10, 2013

Hello there fellas... How's life? Mine is great so far! I am having a free days now due to the end of my fifth department on clerkship. Don't get me wrong, I really want to write all the time, but my home connection is kinda sucks and the engineer doesn't know what to do with it anymore. So if I am craving a proper internet time with my lappy, I need to go outside to find some connection...oh well. Considering I have it right now, let's just write something....


Bilbo, a hobbit, will accompany thirteen Dwarves from his home in The Shire, through Rivendell, across the Misty Mountains, and through Mirkwood to the Lonely Mountain. Bilbo's job as a burglar, will be the gain entrance to the mountain so that they may defeat the might dragon Smaug and reclaim the Dwarven treasure which Smaug stole many years before. Of course, Bilbo's journey has been guided by Gandalf the Grey Wizard, the Elves of Rivendell, the Eagles and a fateful encounter near the dark roots of the Misty Mountains.

Actually, I've finished the novel since months ago. It was beautiful. I didn't recognize that the story itself has been there for such a looooong time, while it explains to me why I feel this kind of "classic" feeling when I read it. I love it very much. It's pure classic children story, but it's a kind of book that has no age limit of readers. I read the English version, and thank God I did. The words are beautiful but still easy to understand. I think I will waste a lot of beautiful essences if I read it in translation.

"Hobbits are (or were) a small people, smaller than dwarves-and they have no beards-but very much larger than liliputians. There is little or no magic about them, except the ordinary everyday sort which helps them to disappear quietly and quickly when large, stupid folk like you and me come blundering along, making a noise like elephants which they can hear a mile off. They are inclined to be fat in stomach; they dress in bright colors, chiefly green and yellow; wear no shoes because their feet grow natural leathery soles and thick, warm brown hai; have long, clever, brown fingers, good-natured faces and laugh deep, fruity laughs."

Beautiful, isn't it? I like how Tolkien describes everything. This is the kind of feeling that appear when I read Eragon series as well. It has an earthly quality, the scent of trees drenching rains and the smell of woodfires. The story itself doesn't have too many paths, it only has a main purpose from the beginning to the end. Simple. And the morals are great too. I love how Bilbo's character growing into something he was not before, but still himself.. funny, I found some similarities between me and Bilbo's character. Hehe.

Oh, and surprisingly, the movie is great as well! The scenery and effect is well implemented.
I guess every Tolkien's based-movies are never disappointing. So you have to enjoy both the book and the movie, it will give double pleasure.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments